Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Indigenous Mexican art; cute new keepsake box

Indigenous Mexican art celebrates the skeleton and uses it as a regular motif. The use of skulls and skeletons in art originated before the Spanish Conquest with The Aztecs. I own a few bits and pieces of Aztec inspired art - my most recent piece being this funky little leather & wood keepsake box...

I call him 'Miguel' the styling skeleton.,

He's so adorable!

The colours are so rich and vibrant & I just adore his sweet little hat.


I purchased it from a lovely couple at a vintage sale - who had recently returned from Mexico and had decided to bring more Aztec style art to Australia. I wasn't going to tell them that the alternative scene (better not say 'rockabilly' - might offend some touchy people!) has a huge following for this style of art, especially when it comes to sugar skulls mixed with pin-up models mixed with low brow art mixed with the Southern Californian style Muscle Car scene. It's huge over here! 


Anyway, I'll surely be on the look-out for more gems like this - you just never know what you're going to find at a sale!

Until next time!


Sianne x

1 comment: